The Retroshare Project now has a presence on the newly formed Libera.Chat IRC network created by former FOSS Freenode staffers. Drop in and say hello, invite your friends, share you Retroshare keys and shared interests!
Webchat is available at web.libera.chat/
Information on connection via Tor https://libera.chat/guides/connect#accessing-liberachat-via-tor
Matrix Gateway retroshare:libera.chat
irc.libera.chat:6697 <– Encrypted SSL Connection
irc.libera.chat:6667 <– Plaintext Connection
Alternative libera.chat network servers are
(Use port 6667 for unencrypted, or the preferred port 6697 securely encrypted connection). Once you connect to Libera.Chat with your IRC client then you can issue
To Register your nickname on the new Libera.Chat network you then issue
/msg NickServ REGISTER YourPassword firstname.lastname@example.org
Libera.Chat Retroshare Chatrooms
The #retroshare chatroom is the Main public facing IRC chatroom. This is the main meet and greet chatroom for RetroShare. This IRC chatroom has a bi-directional relay to #retroshare on OFTC and to the Matrix.org retroshare room.
The #retroshare-community chatroom is a newly added IRC chatroom for the Retroshare Community at large. A community lounge for Retroshare users and their friends to exchange RS keys, share their hobbies and find shared interests. This is a more relaxed flavored community chatroom. There are no relays linked to this chat room.
Note: ##retroshare chatroom is a newly added added Offtopic and Offproject channel for visitors to play games, music, discuss politics, global warming, environmental issues etc. Statements, Opinions expressed by visitors although expected to be in a respectful manner are not necessarily reflective of the Retroshare Project itself. There are no relays linked to this chat room
The #retroshare-project chatroom is a newly added private RetroShare IRC chatroom for Retroshare founders, developers, beta-testers, builders and high level guests that are invited to share their interests with Retroshare or discuss the inner-workings of the RetroShare Project.
This private IRC chatroom has flags requiring users to have a encrypted connection, either know the key (password) to enter or be invited to enter. Under consideration would be a additional flag requiring users of this private chat room need to be registered on Libera.Chat network to enter. There are of course no relays linked to this private chat room.
Following a internal conflict by Freenode staffers and the new Freenode owner, disgruntled staffers left Freenode to create the new FOSS Libera.Chat global network of IRC servers bringing along with a great many former Freenode parked open source big name projects and FOSS projects began migrating to Libera.Chat. Early in the initial phase of this falling out, my relations with several FOSS project developers and founders led me to begin submitting papers and requests to move the FOSS Free and Open Source Retroshare Project IRC presence from Freenode over to Libera.Chat. The Retroshare Project was awarded a Project Status by the Libera.Chat staffers along with the perks that status provides and we’ve been actively setting the #retroshare project channels up for guests and visitors.
Freenode to Libera.Chat staffers falling out sources
Freenode IRC staff quit after a new owner of Freenode LTD (allegedly) “seized” control of (the Freenode IRC) network https://boingboing.net/2021/05/19/freenode-irc-staff-quit-after-new-owner-seizes-control.html
Major open source projects abandon Freenode following an alleged “hostile” takeover https://www.techradar.com/in/news/major-open-source-projects-abandon-freenode-following-hostile-takeover
Additional #RetroShare IRC channels, rooms on other IRC Networks
OFTC, Freenode, Rizon and SpotChat
- Home https://www.oftc.net/
- Webchat https://webchat.oftc.net/
- IRC OFTC Servers irc.oftc.net #retroshare currently attached with a 2-way relay to libera.chat #retroshare IRC chatroom.
- ircs://irc.oftc.net:6697 for SSL (alternative port: 9999), IPv4 and IPv6.
- irc://irc.oftc.net:6667 for non-SSL (alternative ports: 6668-6670, 7000), IPv4 and IPv6.
- Home https://freenode.net/
- Webchat https://webchat.freenode.net/
- Freenode Information https://freenode.net/kb/answer/chat
- IRC Freenode Servers chat.freenode.net using ports 6665-6667 and 8000-8002 for plain text connections or ports 6697, 7000 and 7070 for TLS encrypted connection.
- Freenode users can also use Tor using this Tor IRC server address ajnvpgl6prmkb7yktvue6im5wiedlz2w32uhcwaamdiecdrfpwwgnlqd.onion
- Home https://rizon.net/
- Webchat https://rizon.net/chat
- IRC Rizon Servers irc.rizon.net using ports 6660-6670 and 7000 for standard connections, or 6697/9999 for SSL connections.
- Rizon Forum https://forum.rizon.net/
- Home http://spotchat.org/
- Webchat http://spotchat.org/connect/
- IRC Spotchat Servers irc.spotchat.org using port 6667 for plain text and port 6697 for a SSL connection.
IRC Network #retroshare search https://netsplit.de/channels/?chat=%23retroshare
Thanks again to Cyril, Dr. Bob and the RetroShare Developer core and staff, Drop in and be sure to register your nickname on the new Libera.Chat IRC Network. I look forward to visiting with you.